Export a .DXF file for Silhouette Studio
- If you have TEXT make sure it is path. (Type->Create Outlines, then do steps 2 and 3 OR Check the box "Outline Text" in the dialog box when you do the export.)
- Completely UNGROUP all parts of the image.
- Release all COMPOUND PATHS.
- If you have multiple layers in your file you can export them all at once. Just make sure Steps 1-3 are completed on each layer.
- Do not bother with fills and line colors in Illustrator. None of this is imported from the .dxf file.
- Export the file from Illustrator as an AutoCAD Interchange File (*.dxf).
Import a .DXF file for Silhouette Studio
- Go to "Open" a file.
- Change "Files of type:" to AutoCAD Interchange File (*.dxf)
- Find the .dxf file and select it.
- Press OK.
If the .DXF file doesn't OPEN in Silhoeutte Studio
If the file did not open at all go back through all steps of exporting a .DXF file or try different export settings.
If the .DXF file opens and NOTHING SHOW UP in Silhouette Studio
One of two things has occured:
- The file was imported in miniature. Press Ctrl+A or go to Edit->Select All. If the file was imported as a small version a small square will get selected. Enlarge it and your objects should be all there.
- Another way around this is to change your import settings in File->Preferences. Then go to "Import Options" and change the setting under "When Importing DXF" to "Fit to Page".
- Another problem is if your lines are white in the .dxf file they may just not be showing as black lines in Silhouette. Go to File->Preferences. Then go to "Import Options" and under "When Importing DXF" check the box for Make White Lines Black.
If none of these steps helped go back the instructions for exporting and make sure you didn't miss anything.
If the .DXF file opens and PART OF IT IS MISSING in Silhouette Studio
- The most likely issue is that the part not showing is an item that was left grouped or had a compound path still. Go back to your Adobe Illustrator file and ungroup the item, then release the compound path.
- If only text is missing refer to the Step 1 in the export instructions. You have most likely not turned it into a path.
I think that about covers things. It really isn't a difficult process. Remember - color doesn't import into Silhouette Studio - just the lines. I have tested all sorts of settings to get it to work without success - but if you do find a way of importing please let me know!