August 11, 2009

Trash to Treasure Tuesday - Baby Sign

I found this old sign at Value Village. I decided it was the perfect size for a space in the nursery where a shelf had formerly been. The shelf had fallen off the wall so we ended up with two large holes. We're not re-painting this room so I needed something to cover them up.

Before:

Old Sign ($4.99)
The sign was probably in good shape once upon a time. When I found it there were scratches and marks all over it. It also had raffia tied on it as a hanger. I removed that before taking a picture. I don't need anything pink in my nursery. Maybe someday. I'll confess I wouldn't normally pay this much for a sign. Seriously, that was more than I wanted to pay, but I haven't been able to find boards with the nice routed edges lately so I caved.



Supplies and Instructions:

Left-Over Paint (Free)
I sanded the sign down and painted it with two coats of this beautiful green paint. It's left-over from our home make-over.



Note: if you want to distress the sign do it right after the paint is dry. Then wipe it down with a damp cloth to get the dust off. After everything else is on, it's way more difficult to do this.

Iron-on Flocking ($1) (Yes you read that correctly.)
I cut pieces of the flocked flower to fit the lower left and upper right corner of the sign. Cutting the right size was important. I didn't want to iron extra petals onto the nice routed edges. I applied the flower once the paint was dry, following the iron instructions on the back. I touched the paint with the iron in one spot and had to touch it up a little. It stuck really well to the board though, so this is something I would try again.

I applied the flocking first so the lettering could be aligned well in the rest of the space. Note that it's really important to wait for this to cool before you pull the top back, otherwise the flocking won't stick properly.




Stock Vinyl Lettering ($5.99)
I found this Vinyl at a local craft shop and decided that the price was as good as paying for custom design and shipping. Plus I could get this done right away instead of waiting for the vinyl to arrive. Once the touch-up paint was dry I applied the lettering.


After ($12 Total):

I love how this turned out! The green looks fantastic and goes great in the Nursery. Not a bad price either. I'm sure it would have cost more in a store!



The flower's texture gave the sign a very unique look. I think it looks very modern and playful.



*This post is part of Trash to Treasure Tuesday over at Reinvented.

UPDATE: Since posting this I purchased a Silhouette Digital Craft Cutter. I then discovered Fuzzy Adhesive Vinyl - which is very similar to the flocking, except it doesn't require the iron!

7 comments:

Brit said...

This is fabulous, you are so crafty! How is the nursery coming along.

Joan@anythinsggoeshere said...

Very clever. And it fixes those holed perfectly.

Brittany said...

beautiful!! i want to try working with these letters!

Pam @ This Humble House said...

That is just brilliant! I never knew there was such a thing as iron-on flocking! I will have to head over to HL and check it out! I want to make my own sign with our family name. It really came out nice, you should be very proud!

Kara@ Creations by Kara said...

Wow, I love how it turned out! I think it is a great idea to use the flocking. The texture looks great!

Kimm at Reinvented said...

Oh my gosh, I LOVE it! The flocking is such a creative touch. Thanks for linking up to Trash to Treasure Tuesday!

Anny said...

Clever, I never would have thought of iron ons for wood